Newswire » Local News » Weekend to ‘Fourget’ For Liberties Team

Weekend to ‘Fourget’ For Liberties Team

Liberties Fc

Weekend to ‘Fourget’ For Liberties Team

LFL Major Division 
Liberties FC 3-4 Tallaght City

AFL Over 35’s 2nd Division
Liberties FC 1-4 Carndonagh

DDSL Under 17’s Major Division 3
Celbridge 1-2 Marrowbone Lane Celtic

It has been a difficult weekend for Liberties FC on the pitch with both the seniors and the over’s struggling leaving managers a lot to think about in coming days.

The Over’s are particularly disappointed this evening! Having been beaten 2 weeks ago by AGP a good result was needed to keep alive fading title hopes! Sadly the Over’s haven’t got going at all since the Christmas break and Carndonagh hit them for 4 today! One of the few bright spots was seeing fit again Barry O’Leary back and amongst the goals notching the consolation but there was little else for manager Peter O’Neill to take out of this performance.

For the senior side it’s been a long break since the 2 wins at the very start of December and that may have played a large part to the first half described as ‘shocking’ at half time as the Libbos went in 3-0 down to top of the table Tallaght City! It perhaps could have been worse but of particular frustration will be the 3rd conceded just before half time where an under hit back pass left Robbie Magee exposed and the striker finished!

The half time talk did have an effect and 5 mins into the 2nd half there was a moment of genius from Shane Brown who put a free kick from just outside the box into the top corner after Conor Farrell has been brought down. It was real quality from Shane and offered a glimmer of hope of a comeback! That appeared to be extinguished with 20 minutes remaining when Tallaght had a free kick of their own… It kissed the underside of the bar leaving Magee with no chance and seemingly it was game over!

But the Libbos never know when they are beaten and in the space of 3 or 4 minutes it was game on! First a corner from Shane Brown was flicked on by Rob Bowes finding Mick Horgan to make it 4-2 with his head and moments later it got better….Paul Waters feeding Brown who saw his shot saved but Horgan comes alive in the box and gobbled up the rebound…. 4-3!!!

Tallaght would be kicking themselves if they threw away such a lead and one kick in particular should have brought the Libbos level! Conor Farrell bravely went for a header at the back post from a 91st minute free kick only to be kicked in the face a very bruised and bloody nose) for his bravery…it needed a brave ref to make the right call…he didn’t and the penalty was denied with Tallaght seeing out the final minutes to take the 3 points!

It leaves the Libbos frustrated but to be fair, the lads can’t give sides such head starts, particularly one of Tallaght’s qualities!

So it was left to the Under 17’s to lift the gloom and they certainly did! Full credit to all the lads in the Under 17’s who haven’t played in a couple of months but battled to a 2-1 away victory today with Daniel Taylor notching the winner! Well done lads!

To all who came out to support this weekend, thank you so much!

Leave a Reply

© 1991-2014 Fountain Resource Group Ltd. · Registered Company Number: 193051C · RSS · Website designed by Solid Website Design