Newswire » Local News » The Richmond Barracks

The Richmond Barracks


The Richmond Barracks was officially opened yesterday. There was a host of important figures there to mark the historical moment. The president’s wife, Sabina Coyne-Higgins, Lord Mayor of Dublin, Críona Ní Dhalaigh, and acting Tanaiste, Joan Burton were among the guests.

The Barracks is one of the 1916 commemoration projects that the government has invested €22 million in for this year’s special celebratory year. Dublin City Council  allocated €3.5 million towards the restoration of the Richmond Barracks.

The old barracks has been brought back to life, with the “Cupola”, an octagonal lantern on the roof of the Gymnasium building, put back in its place and the court yard looking splendid.

The proclamation was read out, “Flames, Not Flowers” paid special tribute to the 77 women who was kept imprisoned in the barracks, and speeches in remembrance of the Easter Rising prisoners who were held there filled the room.

The barracks is not significant to the Rising only, it has had many other memories attached themselves to the walls of the old Gymnasium. It once served as a classroom for the Christian Brothers, and not forgetting the struggling families that lived there during the 60’s when the area was referred to as St. Michael’s “Mistake”.

No mistakes has been made here, the barracks looks beautiful and will be one of the new tourist-attractions in the Dublin 8 area, joining Kilmainham Courthouse and the new Pearse Lyons Distillery.

Leave a Reply

© 1991-2014 Fountain Resource Group Ltd. · Registered Company Number: 193051C · RSS · Website designed by Solid Website Design