Newswire » Local History, Local News » Lord Mayor’s Coach Goes On Display

Lord Mayor’s Coach Goes On Display

Lord Mayor's Coach

Lord Mayor’s Coach Goes On Display

This year, the Mansion House is celebrating the 300th Anniversary of its deed of sale. The Mansion House belonged to landowner, merchant and developer, Joshua Dawson, who built the house in 1710 and sold it to the Dublin Corporation in 1715 for use as the residence of the Lord Mayor.

On Saturday the 13th June, between 11am and 4pm there will be a public display of the Lord Mayor’s Coach, as part of “The Mansion House 300 programme”. William Whitton of Dominick Street built the Lord Mayor’s Coach in 1791 and at the time it cost the Dublin Corporation £2,690. The reason for this extravagant price (at the time this would have been considered a considerable amount) is due to the craftsmanship that went into its construction. The Coach is covered with intricate and delicate designs covering the 24 feet long, 8 feet wide and 11 feet 6 inches high coach and has a suspension of whip springs and straps.

The Coach reminds one of the 1837 fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson “The Emperor’s New Clothes”, were the emperor parades through the streets showing off his new garments, until on child proclaims “But he isn’t wearing anything at all!”.  Fortunately, the Lord Mayor of Dublin has decided to wear his clothes as he makes his way through the streets of Dublin in two parades a year for Dubliner’s to admire and enjoy!  The Lord Mayor’s Coach only makes two appearances a year these days; one on the 17th March for St. Patrick’s Day Parade and one for the Horse Show which is opened at the RDS every August by the Lord Mayor.

The Coach first appeared publicly on the 4th November 1791 on King William III’s Annual Ceremonial Birthday Procession. The Coach made many special appearances in its earlier days and were used for important occasions and special events. But after 1840 it was used less frequently, because of the changing political climate. The Lord Mayor’s Coach made another appearance at the Eucharistic Congress of 1932, after the congress the Coach was put into long-term storage.

Dublin Corporation restored the Coach in 1975 for the 1976 St. Patrick’s Day Parade and has since become a stable of the parade every year. The Coach was renovated by a team of coach trimmers and art conservators from Inchicore Railway Works, the National Gallery and the National Museum.

“Come and see the Lord Mayor’s Coach as you have never seen it before. Normally it can only be viewed as it passes on the St. Patrick’s Day Parade route or while travelling to the RDS Horse show; so this is a rare opportunity to see the detail and workmanship up close. The coach was built in 1791 and is an integral part of the history of the Mansion House and the Lord Mayors of Dublin who have used it throughout the centuries,” the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Christy Burke announced.

On Saturday the Coach will be displayed on the forecourt of the Mansion House, Dawson Street, Dublin 2 and the House will be open for the public to walk through between 12pm to 4pm. Other events for the day will include a lecture called “A colourful spectacle revived: The State Coach of the Lord Mayor of Dublin” by Dr. Philip McEvansoneya between 11am and 12pm.

Leave a Reply

© 1991-2014 Fountain Resource Group Ltd. · Registered Company Number: 193051C · RSS · Website designed by Solid Website Design